Can I get a green card if I have a b1 b2 visa? 11 Answers as of July 02, 2013

I have got a b1/b2 visa is there any way to convert it into a green card ? I am a physiotherapist and I am taking national physical therapy exam in New York soon.

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
You need a petitioning company.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
Yes there is. Since you are in legal status adjustment is possible.
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
You will need an employer sponsor. You will need to change your status to an H1b work visa. You can simultaneously have the employer sponsor you for your green card after you are licensed.
You cannot convert it but if you get a job offer from a US employer and the employer petitions you for an employment-based permanent residence status, then you will be able to adjust status eventually. However, you will need to remain in valid status at all times if you are going to prevail and it is unlikely that you will be able to keep extending your B1/B2 status throughout the entire process.
THE MANDEL LAW FIRM
THE MANDEL LAW FIRM | DIANNE L. BROOKS
No. You came here as a non-immigrant, meaning you pledged that you would return to your own country. In order to obtain a green card you must be sponsored by either a family member or an employer.
    HADJIAN LAW P.C. | ZARI HADJIAN
    May be through an employer.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    The application process for employment based permanent residence takes a number of years and does not authorize you to stay or work for the most part of it so that you must apply for nonimmigrant status that allows you to stay and work until you receive your green card. You can change your status from B1/2 to such a status if it is still valid at the time you apply for appropriate nonimmigrant status. You should consult with an immigration attorney regarding your options but should first find an employer who is interested in hiring you.
    Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC
    Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC | Brian David Lerner
    You cannot go directly to the green card. First you should do the H-1b.
    Hilf & Hilf PLC
    Hilf & Hilf PLC | Sufen Hilf
    If some employer offers you a job, you may at least get an H1b to start with.
    There is no way to just change to a green card, but you may have options based upon education, experience, and potential employment. It is important in the meantime that you do not fall out of valid immigration status.
    Immigration Attorneys, LLP | Robert R. Gard
    If licensed in the U.S. and with a Master's Degree in Physical Therapy, you may be able to start the process toward permanent residency, but whether you could remain in lawful and unviolated nonimmigrant status long enough to secure employment-based second preference permanent residency is another question, even with the benefit of Section 245 (k) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.