Can I get a green card after being a student in America? 4 Answers as of June 09, 2011

I am an international student F-1 student from India. I came here on August 27th, 2006 and left the country a few times for vacation during my stay here. Now in August 2011, I will complete my 5 calender years. So I will be after then a resident alien according to IRS publication. Does this mean I can now get a green card? Am I a resident alien only for tax purposes?

Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
F-1 (student) status does not convert automatically to any other status, not even after five years. You would have to file a petition of some sort to obtain a resident alien permit (green card status). The purpose of Internal Revenue Service publications is to give instruction concerning taxes, not immigration. Without the citation to the Internal Revenue Service publication, it is hard to know how you could have taxable income as an F-1 student. Ordinarily, students on F-1 status are not permitted to be employed.
The five years in the U.S. is not related to your U.S. immigration status, only your tax status.
You need a job or spouse to sponsor you. Green card is not going to be fed to you.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
You are only a resident for tax purposes.