Can I get a fraud charge expunged? 8 Answers as of August 24, 2011

I am a special ed teacher I was arrested for fraud 3 last year. Is there any way to seal or expunge this soon? Fraud 3 pled guilty under 150.00. I get finger printed to work. is there anything I can do?

Were you given a diversion program which would keep the charge off your record once you completed community service? If not, then you will have to wait five years and then you can apply to have it expunged. Keep in mind that it is really felonies that come back to haunt you. Misdemeanors rarely do and even if they do, it's usually not to the extent that felonies do because they are much less severe.
The matter can be expunged but you have to wait 5 years from the date of sentence. This is under the expungement statute. Also with one exception you can have only one conviction in your life.
Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
No expungement allowed until 5 years pass from conviction/end of probation.
Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C.
Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C. | Loren Dickstein
Michigan Compiled Law (hereinafter referred to as MCL) 780.621 provides that a person may apply to have a conviction set aside if certain conditions are satisfied and if said person has only one prior conviction.You must wait 5 years after the conviction to request an expungement. An order setting aside a conviction is a privilege and not a right.A court may set aside a conviction if (1) the circumstances and behavior of the applicant since the date of the conviction warrant the requested relief and (2) the setting aside of the conviction is consistent with the public welfare.MCL 780.621(9). The threshold requirement for taking advantage of the expungement act is that the applicant must have been convicted of not more than one offense. People v. McCullough, 221 Mich.App. 253 (1997). The purpose of the act is to expunge the entire criminal record of one-time offenders. Thus, only those persons whose criminal records are blemished by a single conviction for a single crime, committed on a single occasion meet the threshold requirement and are eligible for expungement.
If this is the only conviction on your record, after 5 years you could seek an expungement of the conviction. Until then, there is little if anything you can do. For more information, contact Craig W. Elhart at (231) 946-2420.