Can I get fired from a job for being sexually harassed? 2 Answers as of November 20, 2015

I work for a temp agency. For the past week I have been working at an assignment. A couple of days ago, while at work man leaned over and whispered "you have a fat juicy ass" I chuckled awkwardly. Ten minutes later he grabbed my but, I told him I have a boyfriend, he said and? I said and you have a wife. A little later he grabbed my butt again. I went to the team lead and said "hey, Jesus keeps grabbing my butt, its not serious but can I'm not gonna be around him for the rest of the work night. You don't have to report it, but keep an eye out, if you see him being weird around me please talk to him" the next day on my way to work my boss from the temp agency called me and said "hey Jessica, do you know why I'm calling?" I said no. She said "were you sexually assaulted last night at work" i kind of chuckled and said "well he didn't like rape me" and she yelled "WERE YOU SEXUALLY ASSAULTED OR NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION" I said well yeah. She then informed me that before my shift I need to meet her at the front of the building. She also informes e that I had to write a statement. She also told me that she was "so tired of hearing my name all week" (I had to leave a couple hours early from work one day to take my 16 month old to the e.r" I drove to work and my boss, her co worker, and my self sat in a room. She had paper and a pen. She told me that this is a seripus matter, that I need to write a statement so they can take it to the police. I told her I was not going to write a statement. What he did was wrong and inappropriate. I felt very uncomfortable, I didn't fear for my life. That's why I just mentioned it to my team lead. I then asked if it was legal for her to fire me for not writing a report, she then smiled and said "ehh" and then started talking about something else. She then started getting frustrated and raised her voice because I refused to file a report. No, he should have NOT touched me, what so ever. But I don't feel it's right.

I wish I had an easy answer as to what you might do. Generally an employer can fire someone for almost any reason or no reason except for the few protected exceptions. You might have a case for retaliation over your making a complaint of sexual harassment (which is not necessarily the same as sexual assault).
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
You should not be fired. Immediately contact an attorney if you have any negative job action toward you. I hope that your employer properly handles the matter.