Can I get a firearm if I have a felony for child support? 3 Answers as of October 10, 2014

I'm on probation, but was only incarcerated for 20 days for non-payment of support.

Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
Depending on the nature of the felony, certain conditions must be satisfied before you are able to purchase a firearm. For example, all fines, all terms of probation, and all incarcerations must have been completed. After that is done, the waiting period is 3 to 5 years before someone with a felony is able to purchase a firearm.
In Michigan you will have to wait several years, AFTER you are done with probation.
No, unless your firearm rights have been restored under state law. Keep in mind that they can never be restored under federal law. Also, if you are currently on probation it is a general term of probation that you cannot own, use, or possess any firearms while on probation. If you are uncertain about any of your probation terms or conditions, contact your probation officer immediately.