Can I get a Felony Expungement? 3 Answers as of April 22, 2011

In 2004 I was convicted of a felony (1 count) for Postal theft (gift cards) and sentenced to 2 year of probation in which I had to report once a month and pay $1000.00 restitution. I completed probation in Sept 2006 and I've been employed full time/school part time and trouble free since then. I'm in school part time and I'm looking to get into a specific program which the admission process does not allow felony convictions. It will 5 years since I've been released from probation this September and I would like to know if this Felony can be expunged. I'm looking to move on and I'm hesitant to do so knowing that this Felony is stuck with me. Can anything be done, and if so what steps do I need to take?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
Any felony can be expunged as long as it doesn't carry a potential life sentence and it isn't a CSC crime. The crime you described would be eligible for an expungment come this September. You also have to make sure that you have nothing else on your record, not even a misdemeanor. You can contact an attorney who is experienced in doing expungements do guide you through the process. Otherwise you can do it on your own. It is a lot of paperwork and you need to obtain fingerprints, copy of the judgment against you, file petitions, current criminal background check from the state police among other things. There are packets available if you google it.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/22/2011
Klisz Law Office, PLLC
Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
Is it a state law case or a federal crime? If state, and only conviction, yes, you can apply after 5 years. If federal, presidential pardon is only option.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/18/2011
Craig W. Elhart, P.C.
Craig W. Elhart, P.C. | Craig Elhart
You can apply for expungement.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: