Can I get a federal conviction expunged? 12 Answers as of August 31, 2011

16 years ago I was convicted of Title 17 USC 471 - First and ONLY charge ever in my life to date, and completed time/restitution in 1996. I would like to get it expunged, but have no idea how to do it or who to even contact. This has held me back for years in advancing in my career and need to know if it can be removed.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
Sounds like a federal crime that you were convicted of. Consult with a experienced federal criminal attorney as the federal caselaw has been all over the place as to exactly the criteria, method, and eligibility for federal expungements are.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/31/2011
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
I would suggest contacting the Clerk of the US District Court in the jurisdiction where you case was heard. Although not familiar with the Federal rules, in Illinois state courts, you would not be able to expunge a conviction of this nature from your records. Perhaps, you could petition for a seal on your conviction, thereby keeping the information from prospective employers, but you would have to discuss this with the clerk of court or an attorney who practices in the Federal courts.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/14/2011
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
Unlike some states like Tennessee, you cannot get a criminal conviction "expunged" in New York. Expunged means removed as a conviction from the computer records as well as the actual file. It erases the conviction and you are allowed to say you have no convictions and it is not considered a lie. You can say you were never arrested because the arrest and conviction no longer exist. New York allows a 440.10 motion to vacate a conviction, but that requires a showing that it was improper in some legal way. In New York the criminal record remains forever and can only be vacated if you had a drug case and completed Judicial Diversion or you were granted an ACD. That dismissal would not likely show for an employer's search, but the police computer is never changed and the DA and police can see what you were arrested for even if the actual paper file has been sealed.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/14/2011
Andersen Law PLLC
Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
Unfortunately I am not terribly familiar with the rules and laws in Federal Courts. About the only federal law I've mastered is Title 18 as regards firearm laws. You might call the Federal public defense office.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/14/2011
Law Office of Phillip Weiser
Law Office of Phillip Weiser | Phillip L. Weiser
Federal convictions may be expungeable if permitted by Federal laws. As with State convictions, some types of convictions may not be expunged and some may be permitted. In order to determine whether your specific conviction is expungeable, you must search for the USC code section which covers expungements and read the language. The expungement, if permitted, must be done in the Federal Court where the conviction occurred. You should consult appropriate counsel.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 3/14/2011
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    A motion to expunge will need to be filed in the parish in which you were convicted and some filing fees will need to be paid. It will be subject to approval by the District Attorney and a number of other factors. This is something that we handle for clients on a regular basis in Louisiana. Please contact our firm at the information provided on this page for a free case evaluation if the conviction in question is in Louisiana so that we can work with you to determine whether or not this is in a jurisdiction which we cover.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 3/14/2011
    Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider | Peter Goldscheider
    Unfortunately there is no procedure for expunging such convictions in federal court. Only a presidential pardon would allow you to say this conviction was not sustained.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/14/2011
    Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick
    Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick | Karen Kilpatrick
    Unfortunately, there are no current federal provisions for record expungements. An option, however, is to apply for a presidential pardon. It's a pretty detailed and lengthy process, but if this was your only offense, you've turned your life around, and have some good character references, it's definitely a possibility. Please feel free to contact me again if you have further questions.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/14/2011
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    Feds do not expunge.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 3/14/2011
    Klisz Law Office, PLLC
    Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
    Federal law does not have an expungement procedure. It can only be a pardon by the President.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/14/2011
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    Convictions cannot be removed.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 3/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: