Can I get the father of my unborn child to sign over his rights? 14 Answers as of May 16, 2011

We both think its best since he is no type of father figure.

Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
Sign over his rights to whom? He made the baby so the child will be his. Unless someone wants to adopt this child, he is he father.
Berner Law Group, PLLC
Berner Law Group, PLLC | Jack Berner
If you live in Western Washington, please feel free to call my office to set up a free, no obligation consultation-in person or by phone-with an experienced custody attorney about your case. What you propose is difficult-if not impossible, unless certain circumstances are present.
You can do most things by agreement. However, until the birth, the point is moot. Thereafter, I would have concern that the court would prefer to have a substitute parent figure. In other words, the child is entitled to support from the father. If you terminate the rights/obligations, who will take them up? Stay well.
There must be a basis under law to terminate parental rights. Moreover, a court must make a determination that the termination of parental rights is in the child's best interest. That does not always occur simply based simply on the parental wishes. You should review your case with legal counsel.
Yes, he can surrender his parental rights, but only after he is a parent... That is, you have to wait until the child is born.
    Yes but only in an adoption or other situation where another is stepping up. You could try to terminate his parental rights.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    In Washington State, you can't "sign over rights," without an adoption.
    "Sign over his rights to whom?" The State wants the Father liable for support until someone else adopts the child. Good luck.
    Yes you can, get a family law attorney to assist you with the paperwork.
    Generally, there is no way that a parent can voluntarily relinquish parental rights (and responsibilities) except in connection with an adoption where another adult will be assuming those legal rights and responsibilities. If the father really doesn't want any parental rights that means he isn't likely to bother you about being involved in the child's life, so it shouldn't make any difference to you whether he technically has any rights or not. He doesn't need to be any kind of father figure to pay child support, however. That's is why the legal system generally won't let him off the hook for financial support just because you and he don't want him involved.
    The law has been changing in this area so I do not know whether that can be done until the baby is born; but I do know that it can be done at that time. You will have to go to Probate Court to terminate parental rights.
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    For this type of situation you are going to want to make sure you do it in writing. Check your state laws on this situation and make sure it is done right. You don't want to find out 5 years down the line that it was not done right.
    No. There is no provision in the law that allows a father to "sign over his rights", other than in a stepparent adoption case, in which the biological father's parental rights must be terminated by consent or court order in order for the adoptive stepfather to be able to adopt the child as his own. However, if you and the biological father agree that he should not have any custody or visitation rights, it is likely that he won't come around your child.