Can I get a DUI program referral from a county other than the one where I got my DUI? 16 Answers as of February 29, 2012

I was supposed to enroll in my DUI class by 9/1/10 and it is 12/20/10. The class will not let me enroll even though I have until 2011 to get it done. I now live in a different county than the one where I got the DUI. Can I get a referral from this county court?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
You can do the program in a different county than the one where the offense occurred, but either you or your attorney need to go back to the sentencing court and get the judges authorization. For more info or for a fee quote, call.
Law Office of David Swanson
Law Office of David Swanson | David Swanson
You will probably have to go back to the original court for a new referral. It is also quite possible that a probation violation has been filed because you missed a deadline to get enrolled. One of the conditions of probation was to comply with all terms of the probation order which included the enrollment deadline. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.
You need to contact the court that handled your DUI and have a DUI class approved in hour county.
You will need to go back to the sentencing court where you got your DUI and ask the court to modify the terms of your probation to do it now and in another county. You are technically in violation of probation now for not enrolling on time. I would take care of this immediately before the court formally violates your probation and issues a warrant for your arrest which can
then occur.
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
At this point in time, you have to get referred to the "out-of-county" DUI Program from the original court.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    You can you just have to back to court and ask for it.
    Law Offices of Philip P. De Luca
    Law Offices of Philip P. De Luca | Philip De Luca
    Most likely, yes. You will likely need to apply to the court to have your classes transferred or to go to an approved program.
    Well, from your question, it appears that you are in violation of the Court order since you did not enroll in the class in time. Courts can be fickle about that. Call me, as I can probably help you in that matter.
    You need to go to the court that originally sentenced you in order to get the referral. However, there is likely a warrant out for you, because the proof of enrollment deadline has past and you are in violation of probation. Contact a lawyer ASAP, because if you go to court by yourself you could be taken in custody. A lawyer can appear without you having present, at least initially.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    You are facing 2 problems. One-not completing the course in a timely basis; and Two: the need to take the course in another county.

You need, ASAP to get your case put back on calendar where you were sentenced and ask for more time and permission to take the DUI class in another county. That is probably done with the DUI class enrollment division. Do not wait until this this is due.
    Generally yes go back to court and ask the court to let you do it in another county. They usually have lists of the different programs in the different counties.
    If your question is whether you can do your program in another county, yes that is a possibility, depending upon the judge in the convicting court. Generally, the referral order is not to a specific program location, but to a provider [or a list of providers] that has programs in numerous locations. If you cant get a local provider location to sign you up, then you may have to return to court to get a specific order for one local to you.

The second part of your question is about timing, and none of the providers will likely let you enroll without a new court order extending your enrollment date. Its time to go back to court to request that, or hire an attorney to do it for you.

Either way, if serious about hiring counsel to do these things, feel free to contact me.
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
    Yes. In California you can do your DUI program in another county in California than from the county in which you got the DUI. Usually, you will need to get a referral from the convicting court to the out-of-county program. Many courts have "alcohol programs offices", though some do not. If they do, and the county is close to the originating county, the referring court may have a list of programs in your county. If not, you can do two things, either 1) go to a court in your new county and get a list from the clerk's office and find one your self and contact them with your court paperwork, or 2) go to the Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs website and see the list of all programs approved in the state of California by county.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    No. The court where you are now has no case for you and no jurisdiction over your case to order anything. You'll have to go back to the original court and ask for a re-referral. Keep in mind that if you are in violation of your probation by not showing proof of enrollment, you could have issues, so it might be best to contact your attorney to discuss this in detail.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    Yes. Most counties will allow you do do the DUI program in another county so long as it is in the same state. You may have to go back in to court and ask for a re-referral to a program and double check with the judge to ensure that you can do your program in another county.