Can I get a drivers license in another state without completing the ignition interlock device? 6 Answers as of October 04, 2011

I got a DUI (.08) in California (first ticket I've ever got) and paid thousands of dollars in fines and did work projects which I had to pay for each day and completed a 3 month DUI school and a mothers against drunk driving class. I have to have an ignition interlock device for 5 months in order to have my Drivers License not suspended anymore. My Drivers License is from Florida and they never confiscated it even though I tried to give it to them when they told me to surrender it. The CA DMV already has my certificate of completion for all the stuff I've done (DUI classes). I don't have time or money for the interlock device. Can I move to another state and just get a Driver's License there or will they not let me? If I ever come back to California will I have to take care of it then?

If you do not complete probation here your license will be suspended and that suspension will be honored in most other states that are part of an interstate compact. I do not know if Florida is part of that.
NO. All states honor the court and DMV orders of other states. If you get your license suspended in CA, that is the rule for all other states as well. Plus, you may only have one license, from your state of residence. If you move and apply for another states license, the suspension or court orders and rules will apply there. Bottom line, you dont get to run and hide, you must comply with the court and DMV orders to get a license.
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
Yes, if you decide to come back to California, you will have to take care of this matter. However, if you remain domiciled in a different state, that State's DMV may not be aware of the IID requirement imposed on you. I would attempt to get a driver's license from that State's DMV and see what they say.
The Chastaine Law Office
The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
The interlock laws in California tend to be county specific. Out of state may not require it. You need to check with the local jurisdiction to make this determination.
If your child is declared guilty and California finds out about it an attorney here cannot help you.
    You may run into some problems. If CA and FL's DMV are linked, then FL will require the IID as well (since they respect each's laws). If so, then FL will not renew your license, and CA will keep you in a state of perpetual suspension. Contact an attorney to file a possible termination of action (if you do not intend on returning to California).