Can I get divorced from my husband if he lives in Egypt and I live in the US? 3 Answers as of January 16, 2017

He is Muslim and I'm Christian. He divorced me but oral two years ago no documents prove that and I came to USA but he still in Egypt. I want to divorce him completely and start a new life here. Thank you for answer.

Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
Yes, you can. You can file for divorce where you have been a resident for at least six months. Your biggest problem will be getting him personally served wit papers in Egypt but it can be done. You should be able to get it accomplished.
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
You can file in the State and County where you reside. You would have to legally service the summons and Petition on your husband to get the divorce here. There are different rules for service of process in different countries that need to be reviewed.
California law would recognize terminating your marriage under our jurisdiction. You would have to file the divorce action in the county where you've lived for three months assuming you've lived in California for at least six months. Once you complete the proper document filing, you need to have your husband personally served in Egypt. If he fails to file an answer to the divorce action, you can take his default. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your additional options.