Can I get a divorce while pregnant with another man's child? 10 Answers as of September 24, 2013

I am separated from my husband and we are initializing a divorce. I am pregnant by another man and want to know if we can finalize the divorce while I am still pregnant.

Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
Yes however your current husband would be the presumed legal father of the child, so it might be wise to also establish paternity or establish the husband's paternity.
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
In Utah, the answer is certainly yes, you can get a divorce while pregnant with another man's baby, and you do not have to wait until the baby is born for the divorce to be finalized.
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
Your pregnancy is irrelevant to the proceedings so long as it began after your separation. You should review all of the facts with a family law attorney to determine how best to proceed.
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
If you live in California, you can finalize six months after the Respondent was served with the initial papers.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
Yes. That is not relevant to your divorce case.
    Yes you can. Before you do anything, please talk to a divorce attorney in your area. This is serious. These legal issues will affect you and your family for many years. You may cause great harm to yourself and your children, and may lose a lot of money, if you do the wrong thing.
    Yes as long as the court is made aware that the child is not your husbands.
    Law Office of Brent R. Chipman
    Law Office of Brent R. Chipman | Brent R. Chipman
    Yes, you can obtain a divorce while you are pregnant, whether with another man's child or by your husband. However, if you husband thinks he may be the father, the court may make you wait to finalize the decree until parentage testing can be performed on the child. It is difficult and more expensive to perform testing on a child in utero. If your husband does not claim paternity of the child, the court may actually hasten the entry of the decree so that you could marry your boyfriend before the birth of the child.
    Yes you can.
    It is possible depending on the cooperation of your ex. In Michigan it is possible to complete a divorce in 60 days. If it is a fight, all bets are off and it can take a year, or more.