Can I get a divorce online? 37 Answers as of June 02, 2013

I am looking to get a divorce. Can it be done online?

Meriwether & Tharp LLC
Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
While you can obtain the paperwork to get a divorce online, you cannot actually get a divorce online. You must obtain your divorce through a Superior Court.
Law Office of James Bordonaro
Law Office of James Bordonaro | James Albert Bordonaro
No. Most jurisdictions in Kansas are not that computer savvy. I think only Wichita has electronic filing.
No. Divorce cases are entitled to the same procedural regularity as Civil and Criminal cases, including the right to trial, the right to cross-examine and the right to testify. Some, but not all Family Law Courts allow e-filing of documents, with payment of appropriate fees for e-filed documents.
No. You or someone has to show up and give testimony to the Judge. If you are asking if you can buy forms online and do it yourself. I am sure they are available but buyer-beware. First, no self respecting lawyer would do such a thing and it is illegal to practice law without a license, so anyone doing this would be selling forms and cannot help you.
No. Divorces are done in court.
    Law Office of Lenore Tsakanikas, PLLC
    Law Office of Lenore Tsakanikas, PLLC | Lenore Tsakanikas
    In Pima County, Arizona, you cannot get divorced on line. In order to get divorced, you need to file a Petition of Dissolution of Marriage and serve the opposing party. The matter can then be contested, proceed by default, or proceed by consent. If children are involved, you will be required to attend a parenting class (which you can do on line). If custody and parenting time is disputed, you will be required to attend mediation. Depending on the facts and circumstances of your case, there are different things that will be required of you to finalize a divorce. Good luck.
    No.
    Kelly A. Broadbent, Esq.
    Kelly A. Broadbent, Esq. | Kelly Broadbent
    Massachusetts does not have any method of getting divorced online. You must file all paperwork at the courthouse and have the divorce granted by a judge.
    No.
    You cannot get a divorce online. You may be able to obtain forms for filing a divorce with the court in your county, however.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    No.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    A divorce is a very serious event with potentially long term ramifications. You will need to appear in court several times.
    No, Tennessee requires papers to be filed in the county of the residence but we are not yet doing it by E-mail. Further one court appearance is required by the plaintiff.
    Thomas P. Carnes, Attorney & Mediator | Thomas P. Carnes
    No. A divorce is a lawsuit that is filed with a Court. One party at least must appear at least sixty days after filing to anwer statutory questions necessary to prove up the divorce. Forms for pleadings and orders are available online, but my experience has been that they are not the Texas State Bar approved forms, are not drafted by Texas lawyers, and are deficient. I would advise anyone in this situation to at least consult with a local attorney.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    No.
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar | Mandy J. McKellar
    Not really. You will have to sign documents and possibly appear in court. Unless you have an e-filing account you will have to take everything down to family court to file.
    Marca Tanner Attorney at Law | Marca Tanner
    In Utah you can fill in a "questionnaire" on the State Court's website (called the Online Court Assistance Program) to produce the documents, but they still must be properly served on the other person, and they still have to be filed with the court. That's as "online" as a divorce gets.
    Donaldson Stewart, PC
    Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
    Depending on where you live, you may be able to obtain the documents online, but you will still have to print them to sign and file with the court. The other party must be served with the documents, and (assuming the case is straightforward/uncontested) then the final documents in the case must also be printed, signed by the parties and submitted ot the court. If you reside in Maricopa County, you can obtain the forms and instructions at www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    No. The proper paperwork must be completed, served, filed, and the hearing scheduled; this cannot be done online. I highly recommend you retain a lawyer.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    No, you can find some of the initial forms online but you will need to appear for a divorce to be finalized.
    No.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney