Can I get a divorce in the US if I was married overseas? How? 10 Answers as of May 25, 2015

We are Indian citizens and married in India under Hindu marriage act. My wife is in India and she may not be attending the court here. Can I still get divorce in US? We only have one home, so how is the property shared, as she is not living in US anymore.

Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Assuming you meet the residency requirements(may be two years)in NY, you can get a divorce. Whether or not the Court in NY can deal with any marital property is a little more involved and without a fair amount of information, I cannot start to answer that, it will depend upon where you lived together as husband and wife and whether or not NY has a basis(or nexis)to exercise personal jurisdiction over her; although serve upon her will be another consideration. You should consult with an attorney who should be able to answer those questions and more.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
You can get divorced where you are a legal resident.
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
As long as you are a resident of a state in the United States, you can file in the U.S. in the site in which you are a resident.
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
If she lived in the US and you have property here, you can file here. It doesn't matter where you got married. You will owe her a portion of the value of your home if it was acquired or in any way paid for during the marriage.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Contact an attorney.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    Generally a state court would have jurisdiction to decide a divorce case where either the plaintiff(you) or the respondent lives. Please consult with family lawyer for advise.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    Yes, if you meet the residency requirement here.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Frances An
    You can get divorced here if you are living here. Only one party has to live here. You will need to give her half of the equity in the home to buy her out of the home here, assuming her name is on the property.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    The jurisdictional issues here can be complicated. This is not a question easily answered in this forum. You need to have an in person consultation with an experienced family law attorney so they can advise you in the best way possible after receiving all of the facts.
    Generally you are able to obtain a divorce in the state and county where you reside as long as you meet the residency requirements which in Michigan are six months.