Can I get a divorce if my spouse is not a resident? 7 Answers as of August 10, 2011

If a person was married outside the US, can he get a US divorce if he or his spouse is not a US resident (have green card) but meet the state residency requirement?

Generally speaking, the state/county would have jurisdiction to issue a divorce.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
This question depends on the state where you are obtaining the divorce. If you are in Virginia and both parties are residing here, you can get a divorce.
You will have to consult an attorney in your state. Most states allow divorces that only one party is the resident of the state, but the courts may not have jurisdiction over property and children. In any event you will have to show that the divorce documents have been served on your spouse.
Law Office of Nora Rilo
Law Office of Nora Rilo | Nora Rilo
In Florida, a person's immigration status does not effected your ability to get a divorce. Consult an attorney in your state about this matter.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
Immigration status is not relevant for a divorce if you just seek to dissolve your marriage.