Can I get a divorce if I have been separated from my husband for ten years? 34 Answers as of May 31, 2013

My spouse and I have been separated for 10 years. There is no community property, and both of our children are 18 and older. My spouse refuses to sign for divorce. Can I file and get a divorce because we've been apart so long?

Bruning & Associates, PC
Bruning & Associates, PC | Kevin Bruning
The answer to your question is most definitely yes. It is very important for you to file for divorce. Failing to file for divorce exposes you to the risk that your estranged spouse will create unwanted legal obligations for you.
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
Yes you can. It will be much easier for you if you know where your husband resides or that his last known address is in the Las Vegas Nevada area.
Goddard Wetherall Wonder, PSC
Goddard Wetherall Wonder, PSC | Brook Goddard
Yes. Washington state is a no-fault divorce state and thus there is no defense to a party's petition to the Court for a dissolution (aka divorce). The "legal" date of separation is an issue that can be very complicated, and analysis in that regard may go a long way in assessing your right to spousal support, division of assets, attorney fees, and other funds.
Yes. In Colorado there is no requirement for your husband to sign anything or consent to a divorce.
AyerHoffman, LLP
AyerHoffman, LLP | Cara Lee Thompson
Yes, you certainly can file.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
    Florida is a no fault state and as long as you can swear that the marriage is irretrievably broken, you can get a divorce. I suggest you consult an experienced Family Law attorney to discuss your case in greater detail and learn all of your rights and options. Good luck.
    The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC
    The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC | Patrick J. McDonnell
    You can file for divorce on the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.
    Horizons Law Group, LLC
    Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
    You can just have him served with the documents, and then turn in proposed orders and proceed without his signature, so long as he had notice.
    It will be contested and you should get a lawyer, but yes, you definitely can get divorced.
    Your spouse is not required to participate in commencing or completing the divorce. File and serve your divorce petition and if husband fails to file a response, take his default.
    Lawsmith, The Law Office of J. Scott Smith
    Lawsmith, The Law Office of J. Scott Smith | J. Scott Smith
    All that NC requires is that both spouses live separate and apart for one year. It seems you've met that requirement. NC doesn't require any party to "sign" for the divorce. You need to find a lawyer and have him or her draft a divorce complaint for you and file it and serve it on your spouse.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    You don't need your husband's consent to get a divorce in Florida. You should consult with an attorney.
    Yes you can.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    Yes you can, even if he doesn't want to sign.
    Law Offices of Steven A. Hemmat
    Law Offices of Steven A. Hemmat | Steven A. Hemmat
    If your spouse does not agree to a divorce, you should serve your husband with a summons and petition for dissolution. Washington is a no fault divorce state; so long as you believe the marriage is irretrievably broken you can obtain a divorce.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You need only file the papers and have them served upon him. There no requirement that he sign anything.
    The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC
    The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC | Elizabeth Zwiebel
    In Alabama a divorce can be granted even over the objection of the other party with the proper evidence proven in court.
    In California, it doesn't matter why you want a divorce, and it doesn't matter if you are living apart or not. If you want a divorce, you simply file the petition and related papers with your local county court. If your spouse refuses to respond, then you can proceed by default. If your spouse responds, but won't agree to settlement terms, then you can get a court order to finalize your case. Contact a local family law lawyer if you need help.
    Charles Regan Shaw, PLC
    Charles Regan Shaw, PLC | Charles R Shaw
    You can file for divorce because you are still legally married until then.
    You may commence a divorce by serving and filing a Summons and Petition for Divorce setting out the facts and the relief you are requesting in the divorce proceeding. Your spouse, the Respondent, has thirty (30) days to file a response to that Petition indicating to the Court where they disagree. If they fail to file a timely response, you may file for a default judgment seeking an order based on your Petition. If your spouse responds to the Petition, the matter can be ended at any time when an agreement is reached, or, if it cannot be reached, in a trial of the issues.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney