Can I get a divorce if I can't find my husband and I haven't seen him in 27 years? 10 Answers as of July 24, 2013

Last I knew he was in Illinois. I do have his social security number. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald Main & Associates | Tracian M. Laignel
In Oklahoma, if an individual wants a divorce and cannot locate the other spouse, there is something called Notice by Publication. This will satisfy the notice requirement and you should be able to proceed with your divorce pretty quickly.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 7/24/2013
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
Yes, you can get a divorce. if you do not have a way to get papers served on him, you will have to publish notice of your divorce in a legal newspaper. It is a relatively simple process.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 7/23/2013
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
If you are in Florida there is a process called "Service by Publication". It usually takes 90 days and you can have a final hearing and judgment entered.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/23/2013
Perez-Jenkins Law, LLC | Patricia Perez-Jenkins
Yes, it is a divorce by default. It requires that you serve him by publication at the last known place of residence. The rules for this vary upon the state and so does the cost. It is important to seek out legal assistance to make sure it is done correctly.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 7/22/2013
John Russo | John Russo
You need the court to approve alternative forms of service, i.e. advertising , in your case that could be very expensive. If you know his State for sure it should run around 500 to 1000 to advertise, but if you have to go to a national advertising publication that could get very expensive.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 7/22/2013
Click to View More Answers: