Can I get a divorce from overseas? 2 Answers as of November 01, 2011

Can I divorce my husband while serving overseas? We married in Texas. My husband is a Florida Resident and I Washington.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
Yes. You would need to file in Florida and hire an attorney to assist you and appear in person on your behalf.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/1/2011
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
I have a couple of concerns. First, your question give no indication that the state of Washington would have any jurisdiction over your spouse. If Washington does not have jurisdiction over your spouse, then, while the state could dissolve your marriage, it could not do anything else - like award or divide property or debts. Second, the fact that you are "overseas" give me pause. Generally, even in an agreed or default divorce, there is one court appearance where you would have to appear and give testimony. If you are overseas, how is that going to get accomplished?
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/31/2011
Click to View More Answers: