Can I get a divorce from my husband without knowing how to get a hold of him? 21 Answers as of May 18, 2011

I want to get a divorce from my husband, but he's moved out of state and is refusing to give me and address so I can send the papers. I'm trying to find out if I can still get the divorce without him. The only way I can contact him is by phone but I would prefer not to because I just don't wanna deal with his lying anymore, so I need some help

There is a way, but it is not something you can do alone. You need an attorney, and a Rule 106 motion but then again, a little detective work and you can likely find out where he lives (reverse look-up on the phone, subpoena the phone company for billing address, etc.) If your goal is to divorce without telling him, that is not allowed.
Yes. After you have made diligent efforts to locate him, the Court will authorize serving him notice of the divorce case by publication in a local newspaper.
You will need to exercise due diligence in trying to find him. If you still cannot, then you can serve him by publication. You will need a lawyer to help you with this most likely. Stay well.
You must make all efforts to locate and serve him and, if you are unable to serve him, you may file a motion seeking to serve the divorce by publication.
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
There are options for you. In California, if you cannot get an address for service, you can request that the court allow service by publication in the newspaper and then proceed with your case. Other states should have similar processes.
    Yes, you can still divorce him, but you can also find him using the Internet and/or a Private Investigator. If none of that works, then you can try to serve him at his last known address and after awhile, with permission of the Court, you can serve him by publication in the newspapers. Speak to a matrimonial attorney soon.
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    The answer is yes. The question is one of service of the documents which it sounds like you have already filed. You need to look at ORCP 7, the rule that governs service of legal documents. If you cannot do it, you may need to hire me to do your divorce, which is something I have done for nearly 30 years.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    In Washington State, you can ask the court for an order to serve him by publication or by mail.
    Law Offices of Alexzander C. J. Adams, P.C.
    Law Offices of Alexzander C. J. Adams, P.C. | Alexzander Adams
    You can, but service of the suit will be an issue. I'd suggest calling an attorney to go over this in person.
    Yes. File for divorce. Then you will have to deal with getting him served. ABC Legal Messengers or other such agencies can probably find him for about a 100 bucks and then you get a local process server to serve him. If you truly cannot find him you still must try everything reasonable and then seek permission from the court to serve him by publication, which is fairly expensive. Once you've got him served, his uncooperativeness will just hurt him. Good luck.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    Yes, we can file a Petition for Dissolution and then publish notice of the petition through publication through the local newspaper for the required number of weeks. Contact our office today to discuss this process and how we can help you proceed with your divorce.
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    Under Washington law, you may be able to get an order allowing you to serve him by publication or by mail to last known address. Consult with an attorney in your area.
    yes, you can. I have done this for my clients in several cases. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the first office visit. I know people worry about how expensive a lawyer is, so I am careful to be as inexpensive as I can for my clients. Before you spend a dime, you will know how much this is likely to be.
    Yes, it's possible to divorce your husband under the circumstances described.
    You can commence the suit and obtain an order of notice which will allow you to proceed.
    Yes. I suggest that you retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to represent you, because that attorney would have the resources to find and serve your husband and/or to obtain a declaration of due diligence from an investigator to support an application for an order to allow service by publication.
    First, file the divorce petition and related papers. Next, file a request with the court asking for an order to serve your husband via publication, demonstrating that you've exhausted all reasonable avenues to learn his whereabouts, but still can't locate him. If a judge believes that is the case, then you can "serve" your husband by publishing the action in an approved newspapers. If your husband doesn't respond in 30 days, then you can proceed to take his "default" and finalize your divorce without his participation. This process can be somewhat complex. It would be best to hire a local family law lawyer to help you. Good luck!
    You can accomplish service by publication and some locate searches must be done, but you can get what you seek. If you are in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
    There are ways of doing so, so long as you know the general vicinity of where he is. For example, do you know he is in Charlotte North Carolina or some other metropolitan area? If so, notice can be done by publication. Also, if he hasn't changed his address and driver's license, technically, he might still be able to be served at the home by abode service. This could be tricky so I would suggest that you consult with a divorce lawyer in your area. There are ways to find out where he is but they can get expensive at times. A skilled lawyer can definitely help you.
    Berner Law Group, PLLC
    Berner Law Group, PLLC | Jack Berner
    Hi there, If you reside in Western Washington, feel free to call me to schedule a free initial consultation-either in person or by phone-about your situation. There are ways to deal with a difficult-to-find spouse in these situations.