Can I get a divorce and keep child custody? 3 Answers as of May 18, 2011

My husband and I fight alot and have not been getting along since our daugter was born because he has not paid much of any attention to her since she was born. He has never watched her by himself without anyone helping him. And even when I am home and he watches her while I clean or do anything around the house he neglects her and ignores her while he plays games or something (which is why I dont get much done unless another family member comes to help or while she is sleeping). His older daughter who is almost 4 lives with us aswell and I take care of her too without much help from him. I dont think this is the best enviornment for my daughter to grow up in, I dont want her to grow up and think its ok for he to be treated like dirt and a slave. I also want he to live in a very happy home and not to see that her mommy and daddy are not happy with eachother. My husband works and I dont I am a full time student and I stay home with the kids. I have been thinking about divorse for a long time now because I am afraid our relationship is just getting worse, but I have not done it yet because I am very worried about him having her without me around, he cant even help take care of her while I am around and its a very scary thing for me to think of how she would be cared for if she was alone with him. He does neglect her. I dont want to shut him out of her life I just dont want her to stay overnight with him or for a very long time until he is ready to be a responsible parent. Is there anything that I can do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Berner Law Group, PLLC
Berner Law Group, PLLC | Jack Berner
If you reside in Western Washington, feel free to call me to schedule a free initial consultation-either in person or by phone-about your situation. There are definitely things you can do to maximize the chance getting the custody award you seek.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/18/2011
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
In Washington State, the Court will order a parenting plan consistent with the best interests of the child.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/18/2011
Glenn E. Tanner
Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
Have you tried telling your husband your concerns or taking him to counseling. If you want to get divorced you can and you will be named the primary caretaker based on what you've told me.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: