Can I get deported after telling someone that I do not have a green card? 5 Answers as of February 11, 2011

I'm a high school student and I'm 18. Anyway, I accidentally told my friend about my status, and how I don't have a green card. This conversation came up because she asked me why I was moving to Portugal (where I'm from). She basically told all her friends this info, and now I'm afraid someone is going to report me. Can I get deported for this?

Yes, you can get deported because of this.
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
I hope not. Am sorry that you feel that you will get deported for being here. As you came in from Portugal you must have come in with an Visa and I-94 is this true? Is so, there may be a way for you to adjust your status within the U.S.
I am sorry that your friend has such a big mouth. It is possible that if someone reported you to DHS, that they could try to locate you and instigate removal proceedings against you. If you are worried, which it sounds like you are, I recommend that you pay a competent immigration attorney for an hour consult. If you cannot afford that, the State Bar Association will have a local office that normally gives free or low fee consultations. I think that way a) you can evaluate if you actually have an option for a green card- which you may and b) what your risks or options actually are.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
You can get deported for being in the U.S. unlawfully, but it would require that you be identified as unlawful by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and then placed in deportation proceedings. If someone reports you, and ICE founds out, naturally you would be subject to deportation because you are not here legally.
It is possible. Good luck!