Can I get a deferred sentence for a theft under $100? 7 Answers as of February 03, 2014

I was caught with approximately $100 worth of goods at Dillards. Besides a DWAI a few years ago, I have no criminal record. I was very cooperative and admitted to the theft. Will I be eligible for a deferred sentence?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Cooperative won't get you anywhere. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/3/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You want to try for a Stipulated Order of Continuance before a deferred sentence. The former will permit you from having a criminal record. The latter will require you to expunge your record.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/31/2014
Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine | Jerry Lee Wallentine Jr.
In Kansas, you may be eligible for a diversion or suspended imposition of sentence. However, it would have to be worked out with the prosecutor. Some prosecutors will not allow any such options if you have any criminal record at all.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 1/31/2014
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
If you hire an attorney to represent you, your attorney may be able to get the theft charge dismissed or amended to a lesser offense, such as Littering. The outcome of your case depends on which court your case is in, the details of your particular case, your criminal history, and the skill and experience of your attorney. In Missouri, the maximum penalty for misdemeanor (under $500) shoplifting is 1 year in jail and a fine of $1,000. If you go to court on your own without legal representation, you are at the mercy of the judge and prosecutor regarding your sentencing.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 1/31/2014
Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
You can only get a deffered sentence after a plea of guilty or finding of guilt. If you do not want this on your record, you should seek a suspended imposition of sentence.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 1/31/2014
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    You can't really ask for a deferred, but we normally can get you into a diversion program to avoid a conviction.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 1/31/2014
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    It is up to the judge, but you can always petition for it. You may be eligible for a diversion program which would be even better. Consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer in your area that handles retail fraud charges.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/31/2014
Click to View More Answers: