Can I get a credit card if I file for bankruptcy? 2 Answers as of July 22, 2010

I heard a rumor that I will not be able to get a credit card if I file for bankruptcy. Is this true?

David Nelson
David Nelson | David Nelson
Once you have filed for bankruptcy, if you don't have a foreclosure, it generally takes a couple of years to re-establish your credit if you do nothing proactive to improve it.

With a foreclosure, it's more like 4 years.

However, there's a lot that you can do to improve your scores. I recommend the Credit Secrets Bible. Use this and do it yourself. You can repair your credit after a bankruptcy. You can even do it more effectively than a credit repair agency or credit repair company. The Fair Credit Reporting Act states that when you make a dispute, if your dispute comes from a credit repair company then the person who furnished the bad credit information can ignore the letter. But if it comes from you directly, they don't have that luxury.

Have a look for more information on that law and on how the Credit Secrets Bible can help you help yourself.
Klinger Law Center
Klinger Law Center | Linda Klinger
After you file you will be able to start building your credit back up. Don't listen to Rumors. Call us, or email us to set up a free no obligation consultation with one of our attorneys.