Can I get a credit card after filing for bankruptcy? 24 Answers as of June 03, 2013

Will any credit card company give me a credit card if I file for bankruptcy? My last card had a $5000 limit, I am making about $32,000 a year with my current job.

CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
Yes although perhaps only secured.
Most likely you will start with a secured card before you get another regular card.
Ray Fisher Law Offices
Ray Fisher Law Offices | Ray Fisher
Yes you can. That is one of the things you do after bankruptcy to rebuild your credit.
Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
Yes, but generally it have to be secured credit card until you get your credit rebuilt.
Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
You can indeed find credit card companies willing to issue low-limit cards post-bankruptcy. However, these loan arrangements can get you right back into financial trouble very quickly. In my practice, I ask my clients to pledge that they will no longer use credit cards and consider working with a credit score consultant to concentrate on the best ways to improve their score in order to reduce the cost of credit going forward
    The Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin
    The Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin | Jared B. Gaynor
    While there is never a guarantee of future credit, I have never had a client who had no luck in finding post-BK credit.
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    Yes, secured card..
    Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
    Filing BK will have an adverse impact on your credit score. It will be considered when a CC company decides to extend credit to you.
    The Law Office of Marvin Wolf
    The Law Office of Marvin Wolf | Marvin Wolf
    It is possible to get a credit card after filing for bankruptcy. Many traditional lenders will not offer you credit, but there is a cottage industry that has sprung up just to cater to this market. You would start with a secured credit card and as you make payments, you start to rebuild your credit. The interest rates and special expense and handling charges on these cards is not that favorable and the credit limit is low, with a hefty charge for going above that small limit. Some scams give you a card with a $300 limit and $280 charge for getting the card so you only have $20 credit. It is also possible to go to a bar and order alcohol after receiving a liver transplant. It might kill you, but you would have no trouble finding someone to serve it to you. Just because you can do it doesn't make it a good idea. The problem is not that you can't get credit - the problem is that you can but shouldn't. You need to work on cutting off your reliance on credit or you'll end up in deep debt again without the safety cushion of being able to file for chapter 7 relief for another 8 years. You don't want to do business with anyone who is willing to lend you money right after bankruptcy. They are not your friend. They are a pusher that wants you to fail again because they make more money that way. Over time, when you get used to living on a careful budget, you can get a small secured card for emergency purposes only. Most of my clients have learned to live without credit and are happier for it. Keep in mind - in this economy - credit is poison, cash is king.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Eventually, but the benefit of bankruptcy is that you can learn to live on a cash basis, which is very comforting, and you don't have to worry if you can pay all your bills. This is why it's called a Fresh Start.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    Generally you can get new credit cards after bankruptcy but you normally have higher interest and smaller limits to begin with. After several years you should be back with the same credit and credit cards as before.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    Creditors look at your income more than anything and most people get inundated with credit card offers after the bankruptcy discharge is done.
    Maybe. If you are in a chapter 13, no, as you cannot get new credit at all for the duration of your plan (usually 5 years). In a chapter 7, if a lender will approve you, you can get a card one minute after filing. As a general rule, the only lenders that will do cards in the first couple years charge such high fees and interest that you would not want the card. Further down the road things will be more normal.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    Probably, and/or you could get a secured card. Although, why is this an issue? Is it going to determine whether you file or don't file?
    After receiving a discharge in bankruptcy you can expect being solicited by credit card companies. You should proceed with extreme caution because the interest rate terms will be very high. It is much better, and cheaper, to use your ATM card instead.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Yes. It's very easy.
    Dan Shay Law
    Dan Shay Law | Daniel Shay
    Yes, certainly. It may have an annual fee, and a high interest rate, and may even be secured but you can get one.
    Greifendorff Law Office
    Greifendorff Law Office | John Greifendorff
    Most likely you will get offers. Don't take the bait unless you want the hook.
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
    Depends on the type of bankrupcy. After the case is over you can get credit, but generally there is a prohibition on establishing credit during the case.
    Law Offices of Alexzander C. J. Adams, P.C.
    Law Offices of Alexzander C. J. Adams, P.C. | Alexzander Adams
    Almost as soon as your discharge clear the court, you will be inundated with offers of credit and offers for car loans. Treat carefully. The rates will be terrible until you rebuild your credit.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    Yes you may get a credit card after filing bankruptcy, however it may be at a higher interest rate than before.