Can I get a credit card after filing for bankruptcy? 27 Answers as of July 08, 2013

I had 4 credit cards before I filed. I have been living off a debit card for several months now but need a credit card. Can I get one?

Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
Sure, I just saw an offer that charges 36% interest, and $18 per month for the privilege. Oh, and the sign up fees were $175 for a $700 credit limit. If you are interested in throwing your money away, there are sharks out there waiting for you. You really need to stop living beyond your means, which is what got you into trouble in the first place.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Filing BK will have an adverse impact on your credit score. It will be considered when a CC company decides to extend credit to you. You will eventually be able to get a new CC but as to a timeline,
Robert Peters, P.A.
Robert Peters, P.A. | Robert L. Peters
Clients tell me they get offers in the mail during and after bankruptcy.If you have a job and since post Bk you have no debt or substantially reduced debt you are a great credit risk. At the very least you should be able to get a secured credit card.
Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
You can attempt to apply for a credit card, however, it is quite possible you may not be able to qualify for one. It depends on the creditor you go to, and the amount you need to be approved for. There are many people who are able to obtain credit after having filed for bankruptcy, but it may take time before you can get approved. If you are struggling getting approved for a credit card now, you may want to consider credit repair at some point.
Tucker Legal Clinic
Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
You would likely be able to get a secured credit card; otherwise I would expect a traditional credit card would have a restrictive limit on available credit.
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    If your bankruptcy has been discharged you can apply for one, otherwise you cannot go in debt more than $1000 while in bankruptcy. You may have to go with a "secured" credit card, where you put a certain amount of money in the bank to get them to give you a credit card, usually if you do this and are a good payer for 1-2 yrs, they will drop the secured part and allow you to take your money out.
    Yes, you have my permission. Whether or not a bank or other institution will extend a credit card to you cannot be determined unless you fill out an application and try. In most cases your income will be the bigger determining factor.
    You can get a small secured card. Use it carefully and rebuild your credit.
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    Yes, secured cards.
    Rosenberg & Press
    Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
    Absolutely. Your rates may not be as favorable, but it is possible and doable. In fact you cannot be discriminated on the basis of your filing bankruptcy.
    Colorado Legal Solutions
    Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
    Generally, you want to be careful about getting back into debt after bankruptcy. After all, you do not want to end up in a position again where you have overwhelming debt that you cannot pay. Most credit card companies will not be quick to issue a card to someone who has recently gone through bankruptcy, although a secured credit card may be a good way to begin rebuilding a credit history. With a secured card, you make a deposit and are granted a credit limit up to the amount of the deposit you have made. If you are able to handle the credit line responsibility and make your payments, the deposit will eventually be returned to you and the card will be unsecured from that point forward.
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
    Generally you have to wait until you finish your bankruptcy to apply for credit again without the approval of the judge.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    Once your case has been discharged, you can get a credit card. Many debtors are surprised at how many credit card offers they get after a bankruptcy discharge.
    The Law Office of Marvin Wolf
    The Law Office of Marvin Wolf | Marvin Wolf
    I'm going to get very tough with you because you need to hear this. Yes, money is tight and life sucks now. That's life for a lot of people in this economy. Please don 't make it any worse. You don't need a credit card, you just want one out of habit because you can't control your money and expenses. Don't tell me "yes, but" - Don't tell me it's a special circumstance. I've heard it all. Credit cards are what got you into this mess. You are addicted to the convenience and availability of them. If a crack addict goes into a rehab facility, should he take crack after he gets into the rehab facility? No. Credit cards are financial crack. You can get a secured credit card right after bankruptcy. Almost like a debit card. There are businesses willing to give it to you. Should you? No. You can't handle it. That's why you ended up filing - okay? What I hear you really saying is that your budget isn't working for you and you want to borrow money again. You need to change your budget and your spending habits and your expectations about your lifestyle or you just wasted a bankruptcy and will be right back where you started soon enough. If you are in a bankruptcy now, take the required financial management course, - take a REALLY GOOD very detailed one - I don't normally recommend Dave Ramsey's' course because it costs more and he doesn't like bankruptcy attorneys but I think you might need and benefit from the extra detail and work = PLEASE PLEASE listen to the advice there on budgeting and saving. If you can't afford it with your debit card, then you can't afford it. PERIOD. Something has to change. Not your credit score, not the number of cards you have - instead, change your mindset and your budget. Sorry about the attitude, but I really think you need some tough love.
    After you have filed bankruptcy you should consider using an ATM card instead of getting another credit card. It is possible to get a credit card after bankruptcy but the interest rate will be exceptionally high. A credit card company may also require a security deposit and charge fees to get the card.
    If you have good income and a steady job you will probably get a few offers of credit cards even before the bankruptcy case is over.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    Yes you may get a credit card after filing bankruptcy, however they may be at a higher interest rate than before. Credit card companies know you cannot file for chapter 7 bankruptcy for 8 years so you are a good candidate for their cards.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Possibly. Check your credit score and see whether it's risen. You could also look into a secured card, but be careful of up-front fees. And be careful with any credit!
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    That's up to the credit card lender.
    If it is a chapter 7, yes, if a creditor will issue one. A few might, but the interest rate may be ridiculous. If it is a chapter 13, no, if you are still in your plan, and yes if you completed the plan (usually 5 years after filing). If you are in a Chapter 13, discuss this with your lawyer as you can get in trouble for incurring new debt.
    Ray Fisher Law Offices
    Ray Fisher Law Offices | Ray Fisher
    Yes, you can.
    Law Office of Eric Ridley
    Law Office of Eric Ridley | Eric Ridley
    Absolutely. It may take a while, but you will begin receiving offers in the mail soon. You can also get a secured car, for which you will deposit funds equal to your desired credit line. These are good ways to rebuild your credit.