Can I get a conviction from 2002 sealed? 11 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I was convicted on June 25, 2002 and it has been almost 9yrs. I am trying to get my license in cosmetology and need court records. But if it has been that long, cant I get this sealed?

I think what you want is an expungement; sealings are limited to specific crimes and circumstances. And yes, you should easily be eligible for an expungement. You can actually do it yourself by getting a packet from the clerk's office, but it's obviously cleaner if you hire an attorney.
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
You could likely get your conviction expunged. This means that your finding of guilt will be removed and the case will show a dismissal rather than a conviction. Go to my website for more information and pricing for a quick and affordable way to clean up your criminal record.
Do you mean expunged? You might want to consult an attorney who handles state licensing cases. Even if expunged, you have to reveal the fact of conviction to the cosmotology licensing board.
Sealed? Only with great difficulty and expense, and no guarantee of success. Instead, many felony and misdemeanor convictions [and now recently included are infractions] can sometimes be 'expunged' from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no prison time sentenced whether served or not, and if it was not for certain sex and Domestic Violence crimes, and if all terms of sentencing and at least one year of probation are completed, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively reduced to a misdemeanor, if necessary, and then withdrawn and the charges dismissed. Expungement does not 'remove' or erase the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' or 'strike' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing or employment because of the conviction. If youre serious about doing this, and you think you qualify under those rules, feel free to contact me for the legal help you'll need.
LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
If you were a minor in 2002, and if you have no other convictions since, you can petition to seal your juvenile records.
    Tracy L Henderson, Attorney at Law
    Tracy L Henderson, Attorney at Law | Tracy L. Henderson
    If it is a California conviction you could get a PC 1203.4 dismissal. Only juvenile records can be sealed.
    You can get the case expunged.
    You don't need to get it sealed. Get it expunged! As long as you successfully completed probation, you are eligible. Contact an attorney for more information.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    Pursuant to Penal Code Section 851.8, you are not eligible to have your record "sealed and destroyed" on the grounds that you were "convicted". In general, if you 1) were arrested, but the prosecutor never filed charges or 2) had your case dismissed in court under a declaration of factual innocence, or 3) were acquitted by a jury following a jury trial, you would be eligible to have your records "sealed and destroyed". Depending on what you were convicted of you may want to explore "expunging" your conviction as a starting point. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
    No, unless you were under 18 at the time We can do an expungement call us.