Can I get a class A misdemeanor sealed so I can obtain employment? 8 Answers as of February 24, 2013

I had prescribed pill in my purse but it was not in the bottle, it was loose.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
It depends, the court clerk can help you with the expungement process.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 2/24/2013
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
You should have retained a good criminal lawyer to get that charge dismissed if you had a prescription for that pill. New York does not have an expungment statute so the conviction can never be erased but you may be able to make a 440.10 motion to vacate on ineffective assistance of counsel. You should have gone to trial and tried to win the case since it was a misdemeanor and you plead to a misdemeanor. Unless you had a bad record you were not going to jail so you had nothing to lose. You got bad advice unless there is more to the story, which there often is.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/20/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
In Michigan this can only be done if the matter is expunged. The statute makes you wait for 5 years, and then apply to the judge and you can't (with a few exceptions have any other convictions.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/19/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Consult an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/19/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
No, but you can get it expunged after you complete probation. Contact an attorney to see if you qualify.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/19/2013
    Toivonen Law Office | John Toivonen
    You can have the conviction set aside, but it must be 5 years after probation has been completed or the sentence has been served, whichever occurs later. You have to apply for a set aside, and the application must go to the prosecutor and the Attorney General.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/19/2013
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    Not in Alabama. It is not a crime if out of bottle and you have prescription.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 2/19/2013
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    There is a big difference between "sealing" your record and "expunging" it in California. Id need a lot more info to determine whether or not you are eligible for either of those deals.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/19/2013
Click to View More Answers: