Can I get child support if my child is in college? 9 Answers as of April 29, 2014

My daughter is going to college. Can I get child support for her while in college and can I get back child support?

Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
If you are in Florida, there is no obligation to pay child support past 18 or graduation from high school, even if the child is in college. However, if there is back child support still owed, that doesn't disappear just because the child emancipates and you can pursue collection of that.
Family Law & Mediation Services, LLC | Carol Jean Romine
If you don't intend to retain an attorney, you should go to the Child Support Division of the Prosecutor's Office in the County that issued your original child support order. They will help you obtain past child support. The amount of child support you will receive while child is in college depends on too many things to answer that question. The current support obligation remains in effect until it is modified or the youngest child turns 21.
In Idaho, child support stops (generally) on the later of the child turning 18, graduating high school or turning 19. So, no further child support. However, back child support can be collected until paid in full.
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
Normally child support in Pa. stops when the child attends college.
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
It depends on your divorce papers. Any valid missed child support payments can be collected anytime in the future. Unless you have an agreement for child support while your adult child is in college, you cannot get support for that.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    Child support in Nebraska terminates at 19. You can get back child support.
    Check your States statute on this issue, some allow for college, but the majority follow 18 and graduated high school, but never beyond 19th birthday.
    Smith Law | Sharon K Smith
    Child support is only order for a child up to the age of 18 or high school graduation, whichever occurs later. If you did not file a child support case prior to present day, back support would not be awarded, your arrears in support begin to accrue on the date you file your support case.
    It depends on your support order, generally not if she is an adult and graduated from high school.