Can I get child support if I have primary custody of our children during our divorce? Posted on February 22, 2011

my wife has not bothered seeing the kids in almost a month, our custody was supposed to be split in half. We are going through a divorce and have completed child mediation. It was agreed upon for custody to be split down the middle with no child support required. She dropped them off on Jan 30 and the following week when she was supposed to have them she said she could no longer afford to take care of them. She works full time and makes more than I do. I don't qualify for daycare help and am not getting any child support and I don't know what to do. I have the text messages that she sent saying she wants for me to have primary custody as long as she gets visitation, but she says she doesn't want it in writing because it will prolong our divorce. I agree with the last part. We have been doing this all on our own because neither of us can afford lawyers. But if I am going to get primary custody I need to get some financial help in taking care of our 2 kids. I really need it now and I have no idea when we are scheduled to go before the judge for the divorce.