Can I get child support if the father is in jail? 17 Answers as of July 11, 2013

My son's father is in jail and more than likely he's not going to get out. Is there a way that I can get some assistance for my son?

Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
Practically speaking, probably not.
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
I would suggest talking to the child support division of your local prosecuting attorneys office. Practically speaking, if you do not qualify for AFDC for the child, that may depend on whether the father has any assets that could be attached for child support.
Being in jail does not eliminate the legal obligation for financial support. However, the reality is that a person in jail has little or no income for payment of child support; so unless there are other sources of funds, getting a child support order may be useless or insufficient.
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You should contact the State to assist you in establishing an obligation.
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
Probably not unless the father has some independent resources.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    This question is highly state specific.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    Probably, although it will depend on what state you are in. In Washington (my state) the amount of child support is based upon the income of both parents. When a parent is in jail, that parent is regarded by the court as having no income. This means that so long as the father is in jail, the best you could possibly do for child support if $50 per month per child. In terms of whether you can get state support for your child, that is going to depend on the state's public assistance rules.
    If the father is in jail, no you cannot get child support since he has no income.
    Your child support comes from the father.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    You can apply to the county for assistance but no you won't get child support while he is in jail.
    Unlikely without income or assets of some sort.
    Meriwether & Tharp LLC
    Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
    In Georgia, if you have a child support order, the child support will continue to accrue until he gets out. Aside from this, you will have to look to public assistance such as food stamps, Peachcare, etc. for additional support.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    Generally support is partially based on the income of the father. If he is in custody, then he likely has no material income.
    If you can't prove that the father has the ability and opportunity to work while in jail, you likely won't be able to get an order from the family law court for child support. You might try to qualify for some sort of public assistance, under your circumstances.
    Under Minnesota law, child support is unlikely when a parent is incarcerated since that parent has no income from which support can be paid - unless there is a financial asset that can be used to satisfy a child support obligation.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    The reality is that while he's legally obligated to support the child, if he's in jail and doesn't have an income, unless he's got some income producing property there probably isn't much you can work with in order to get support, particularly if he's not getting out of jail.
    Obviously, you can't collect child support from someone who isn't working, unless he has assets.