Can I get child support from the other parent for the years I havent had it? 9 Answers as of November 07, 2013

I have full sole custody of our teen. I've had our teen for 3 years. The mother has no court order visitation. She has not given me any support for our teen for the past 3 years. Lately she has been harassing me and questioning me about my finances. I have paid for our teen to go to private school, have paid for all after school activities, medical and more. She has been demanding that I buy our teen the top brand clothes. I have bought our teen clothes from the mall but she is not happy with this. I am not rich but I buy our teen clothes that I can afford. This is very frustrating as I have full custody and she has no visitation and has not sent me child support but she is demanding for me to buy our teen the things she wants. She offers no support but wants to know what I am doing with my money. Our teen is taken care of very well, is fed every day, has a roof over their head, participates in school activities, gets clothes and electronics such as laptops, and has medical coverage all provided by me. The mother is questioning me and at this point I'm thinking about putting her on child support since she wants our teen to have the most expensive items. I think this is unnecessary but since she is demanding it. I would like to put her on child support so that she can contribute. Can I go to court and ask for an order of child support and ask for child support for the last 3 years?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Davis Law Office
The Davis Law Office | Willie G. Davis, Jr.
You can seek child support. But you won't get it for the past years, unless a prior order was in place. But if she don't think you doing enough then child support from her would be a good move. How did you get custody without an Order for Child Support?
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 11/7/2013
Kevin H Pate
Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
Child support, when appropriate, can be ordered, but it will be prospective, going forward from the date the request is filed.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 11/5/2013
Bentley Law
Bentley Law | Walter H. Bentley III
Sorry to hear about your situation, raising a teenager is never easy for any parent. Yes, you can go to court to initiate child support. Michigan law specifically states that back child support cannot be paid except for some very narrow situations in which your predicament does not apply. Although it may take a couple of weeks before the court makes a decision as to how much will be paid, the court will go back to the date that you actually filed in court. For example if you file for child support on December 1, 2013 and do not receive a court date until January. The support begin date would be December 1, 2013 and she would owe for the time period you waited for a court order.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/5/2013
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
No, you can't get retroactive Child Support.? If you want to get Child Support prospectively, you need to file and serve an RFO to seek Child Support in your Paternity Case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/5/2013
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
Consider returning to court to request child support from your ex as well as conduct orders to stop the harassment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/5/2013
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    You can certainly go to Court and ask for support and unless there are some very unusual circumstances, you will get it. In Nebraska, you cannot get support until you ask for it. In other words, the three years you did not request any child support will be lost if this is in Nebraska.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 11/5/2013
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    Child support can only be retroactive until the date you file a petition for it. If you have not filed a petition, then it will only be applicable from the date you do.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 11/5/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    I don't believe that you can ask for the last 3 years, but you can ask for child support going forward.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 11/5/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    You can ask for child support, and should, but in Michigan, if there was no previous order, it will only commence on the date of filing the Motion seeking it. I would strongly suggest that you engage an attorney and explain all of the circumstances and allow review of the previous orders presently in effect before you take action.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 11/5/2013
Click to View More Answers: