Can I get child support during lengthy divorce? 18 Answers as of January 16, 2014

I filed for divorce 7 months ago and I need child and spousal support. My wife makes $22000 per month and I get $3100 per month in social security income. My wife made this a very nasty divorce and have the funds to lengthen the process. Can I get some relief from her now because I have no funds?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
You need to file a motion for temporary child support and general support during the pendency of the divorce.
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
Child support is a separate action from divorce.
Andrew Rosner and Associates | Andrew Rosner
Yes. She should be liable to pay you maintenance while the case is proceeding, and she may be ultimately responsible for your counsel fees.
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
You can go to Court and ask for a temporary support order. Check with the Court's Clerk to find the proper forms.
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
Schedule a Motion for Temporary Relief.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    You need to file a motion for emergency support if you do not already have an order. If there is an order you could request a modification.
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    Talk to your attorney about filing for temporary orders of support which can be in place while the divorce is pending.
    You need to file and serve a request for order to request court orders for child & spousal support. The significant difference between you and your wife's income would justify the request.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    You could have made a motion for temporary orders right after the divorce was filed to get both child support and maintenance if appropriate. That's assuming the child is with you most of the time.
    If your wife makes 22k per month you should have no problem getting an advancement on equitable distribution. Doing this yourself? Ever hear you get what you pay for, pay peanuts get monkeys, pay nothing get nothing. You are not a lawyer, just as you are not a doctor, no matter what you may believe you cannot handle this on your own without making major mistakes.
    Before you do anything, please talk to a divorce attorney in your area. This is serious. These legal issues will affect you and your family for many years. You may cause great harm to yourself and your children, and may lose a lot of money, if you do the wrong thing.
    Catchick Law, PC
    Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
    Depending on how many overnights the child/children spend with you, you can definitely request "interim" child support and spousal support ("interim" means: "while the case is pending"). Many Courts will only give you relief back to the date you file your Interim Motion, so I would recommend you do so ASAP.