Can I get a car title for a car that was filed under bankruptcy? 8 Answers as of April 15, 2011

I filed bankruptcy over 7 years ago and they have not come to get the car. Is there anyway I can get a title for it?

Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
How to get title to a vehicle is a matter of state law on certificates of motor vehicle title, not federal bankruptcy law. However, here's what I would do: Send the company a letter by registered mail, telling them they have 30 days to remove the car. If they fail to retrieve it, then file with the state titling agency to get a title as an abandoned vehicle.
No unless the bank is willing to release its lien. Contact the bank and offer some money to get the bank lien released.
You would have to reopen the bankruptcy case, file a motion to redeem it for $1.00, and as a part of the order on that motion - get the clerk of the court to sign the title over to you. Not easy, but it can be done.
Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
You can reopen the bankruptcy and file a motion to redeem the car. The judge will set a value and if you pay off the value, they are required to send you the title. I sometimes see creditors who never bothered to get the car pop up and fight over the value.
To get titleof a carafter a debt has been discharged in bankruptcy the full amount of the loan and any collection charges must be paid in full.
    You should talk to your attorney who handled the case. You technically don't own the car.
    If you reaffirmed the debt and paid the debt off then yes you can get a title. If no reaffirmation and no payments then no, you can never get a title.
    The Doan Law Firm
    The Doan Law Firm | Shawn Doan
    You can contact the lender and see if they are willing to accept a nominal amount in exchange for signing over the title.