Can I get bail money back if the Sheriff's send notice that I was detained, not arrested? 19 Answers as of October 15, 2012

Get bail money back if sheriff's send notice that I was detained, not arrested. Court declined case in interest. Can I get bail money back if the Sheriff's send notice that I was detained, not arrested. Court already declined case in interest of justice. However, I paid a bondsman of $5,000 already.

Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
If you had posted bail, you would get your money back. However, you did not post bail. The bondsman posted your bail. He got his money back. The money you paid him was a fee for his services. Always remember that any money you pay a bondsman, you will never get it back, and you will never be able to use it for an attorney or fines or restitution. On the other hand if you use the money to hire an attorney, the attorney can usually get your bond lowered to a much lower amount. Then if you post that amount yourself, the money stays on your "books" and you can use it later.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
The fee you paid to a bondsman is not returned even if the case is dismissed as long as he posted the bail for you and took his fee.
As soon as the bondsman put you on the street, his fee was earned. Remember when you could not wait to get out of jail. The price for that impatience was $5K. Good luck.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
It would be rare for a private bondsman to refund any money.
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
If you posted cash bail yes, If you posted bond with a bondsman, no.
    Go to the clerk of court and inquire when your bond will be refunded. It should be refunded if the case was dropped.
    You will have to talk to the bondsman about that.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Sorry, but the money you paid to the bonds company was for them to issue the bond. They did what you contracted them to do - post a bond and get you out. Even though the charges were never filed, you still made a deal with the bonds company. It's separate from what happens in court.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    No. If you pay a bondsman, that money is to purchase an insurance policy and for the bondsman's fee. None of that money is recoverable, unless you're able to sue the county for unlawful arrest.
    I believe you should get bail money back because even if they had prosecuted the case, you or whoever posts bail would get the money back provided you did not miss any court appearances. You should hire an attorney to help get the bail money back.
    It depends on your contract with the bonding company and whether the money was a premium for the bond. Basically if the bondsman had to post the bond, you would be responsible for the premium.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    You can get your bail back. However, if you used a bail bondsman you likely will not get any money back. You would need to review your agreement with your bail bonding company.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Being detained is being arrested. You need to talk to the bondsman. You paid for your freedom, and sometimes it is very expensive.