Can I get back a security deposit at the end of a lease? Posted on July 16, 2011

In Sept of 2010 my family was forced to move out of a house we were renting because the landlord lost his job and had to move home. We were on a "verbal" (by e-mail) lease until July of 2011 and were given less than 60 days to vacate the home. We had a walk through of the home with the wife when we moved out and asked for our security deposit back at that time. She refused and said that her husband had to check the home and then we would get it back. The landlords have refused to return our security deposit and have made no claim to the money in writing or verbally. We sent a certified letter demanding the deposit back but it was returned unopened. Is there a statute of limitations on the security deposit in Florida and how should I proceed in order to get the deposit back? Thanks