Can I get assistance from any goverment program? 3 Answers as of June 06, 2011

I am a US citizen, and currently unemployed (not eligible for unemployment compensation). My wife just recently got her green card and she is banned from getting any government assistance for 5 years. My situation is that I haven’t found a job yet and I’m running out of cash (my savings) and I’m thinking in getting help from the government, because I need to provide for my 5 year old daughter, who is a US citizen as well. Can I get government help for both, my daughter, and myself and exclude my wife? And what will this affect my wife’s permanent residence?

Komanapalli Massey LLP
Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
In California at least, you can get medical insurance for your child, possibly for yourself too, you can get an ebt debit card which they will load with a couple hundred per month, maybe more (the new food stamps), you may apply for general relief, which is not worth a lot, but it is something, and they will help you find work. You can also resort to private charitable organizations such as local churches, food banks, and so on. Dig in and investigate.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
You and your daughter are citizens and entitled to all the help you can get. However, you signed the affidavit of support and are still bound by those terms (as are any cosponsors).
Yes, as a US citizen, you can avail yourself and your child to federal benefits.