Can I get the arrest expunged from my record without an attorney? 13 Answers as of May 09, 2013

I was arrested with 5 felony charges and they were ALL dropped. Now I would like to know about getting the arrest expunged off my record. I have little money for an attorney and was wondering if this is something that could be done through myself. Thank you for your help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Carlos H. Davalos
The Law Office of Carlos H. Davalos | Carlos H. Davalos
Yes, you can do it on your own. I would also inquire with your local legal aid organization and see if they are willing to provide assistance to you at a low cost.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/9/2013
Salberg Murdock
Salberg Murdock | Jeffrey D. Salberg
Go to the governmental court web site. There is information and forms on expungement. Also read the Utah statute covering expungement of the record. Consider hiring an attorney to only oversee what you are doing. You do the footwork and prepare the forms. Just have the attorney review what you are filing to be sure it is complete. It will save you money, but assure you are doing it right.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 5/9/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
See the Clerk of Court in the county where the cases were held. The staff may have the forms and instructions available for you to handle the matter on your own. Cook County, in Illinois does this for defendants. However, in smaller rural counties, they may not provide this service.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/9/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Information about expungement is available on the forms tab for District Court
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 5/9/2013
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
You cannot expunge arrests, only convictions. Arrests are meaningless, and no adverse consequences should occur from the fact you were arrested.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/9/2013
    Barton Barton & Plotkin
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    There is no such thing in New York as expungement. In some circumstances, if the charges were dismissed you can petition the Court to seal your files. It would be very difficult for you to do this without an attorney. And sealing of files does not guaranty that your arrests will not show up in data bases used by companies to conduct background checks. Your arrests were on public display for a long time and private companies often keep copies of those records. Even when your files are sealed in court and the DA's office, they may show up in the records of these private companies.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Yes. Get a paralegal or go to the Court's self-help center. And get a certified copy of your record.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    You can file a petition for expungement of an arrest record, but only if you were arrested based on false information and you were never charged with anything. Call the court and ask if they have the forms. Otherwise, you can google it and find the forms online. The court charges a fee to file the petition, I think it's about $100. There will be a hearing before a judge. You need to make sure your situation meets the requirements for expungement and provide proof to the judge.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    You may handle the expungment yourself. You can find the form online and the necessary support documents you must provide with the petition.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    You may be able to obtain forms for the Petition for Expungement through the Court Administrator's Office. Your Petition needs to be filed in the county of conviction. A hearing will be scheduled in which you will likely be required to argue your case. If you feel that you can handle this on your own, you have the right to do so. Depending upon how and when the dismissal occurred, you may be entitled to have arrest records sealed. In cases involving an actual conviction, the limit of your remedy is sealing of judicial (court) records.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 5/9/2013
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber | Marshall Tauber
    If the cases were all dismissed without any convictions resulting then you have no criminal record to expunge. Arrests without convictions are not maintained as criminal records.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/9/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney