Can I get anything from my husband for abandonment and spousal support ? 26 Answers as of September 12, 2012

My spouse left me with the rent two months behind the electric will soon be shut off. I have no money. I am about to be put out of my place with my daughter and granddaughter. We will have to move into a shelter.

Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
Hire an experienced divorce attorney to seek maintenance and child support.
ADELMAN & SEIDE, LLP
ADELMAN & SEIDE, LLP | GEORGE N. SEIDE
Go to child support services in your county and have them go after him for support. Go and get welfare and food stamps.
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
While you don't state how long you have been married, it sounds like your spouse was the primary wage earner during the marriage. If a complaint for divorce was filed you would stand a good chance of receiving both temporary and permanent spousal support. The real issue is whether your spouse is employed and has an income from which spousal support could be paid.
File and serve your divorce petition with a spousal support motion and if the child is under 18 and from this marriage, also request child support in your motion.
Ross Scaccia Attorney at Law | Ross Scaccia
this is one of the hard questions that lawyers have to face from clients in such a situation...very sad. To answer the question, I say you can get something from him if he has something, if not, then what ? Does he work ? if so, you can pursue him in court if your children are juveniles, ... you can go to juvenile court and file a form and the court will subpoena him ( call him into court) and order him to pay child support based on what he has in the way of income. If your children are not juveniles, you can pursue him in the district court ... you will have to chase him sadly, in most cases ...
    Law Office of Angela M. Riccio | Angela M. Riccio
    If your intent is to seek a divorce from your husband you can request the court order your husband to pay you maintenance, contribute to the household bills, and the like. Each situation differs, and it would be best for you to contact an attorney to explore your options.
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
    You can file for divorce or legal separation, and make a request for spousal support, and child support if your daughter is a minor and your husband is her father. Most courts have a self-help kiosk, and some even have legal aid for those who cannot afford an attorney.
    The Law Office of Erin Farley
    The Law Office of Erin Farley | Erin Farley
    I advise you seek an emergency support order. If you do not have an attorney, consult the family law facilitator at your local courthouse. The facilitator's office can assist you in preparing the necessary paperwork. Communicate with your service providers and determine whether they will allow you more time in your residence.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Spousal support depends upon the length of the marriage and the financial circumstances of the parties. In a short term marriage, there usually is no spousal support, except perhaps temporary alimony. Get an aggressive family law attorney.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    Yes, you could file (ask) for alimony and child support. Alimony is a maybe, child support is a for sure.
    The Law Offices of Dave Hawkins
    The Law Offices of Dave Hawkins | Dave Hawkins
    You would first need to file a Petition for dissolution and then file a motion fro temporary orders in order to obtain spousal support.
    The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook
    The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook | Cathy R. Cook
    If your husband is working, you can file for divorce and ask the court for an immediate order for child and spousal support. Have you contacted Legal Aid?
    Do you know where your husband is? Does he have money or does he work? You can file for divorce and obtain a temporary spousal support order but you need to act quickly. As for immediate needs, have you called your county social services department and asked if you qualify for any programs. Maybe your daughter or granddaughter would qualify as well.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    You can ask for support, but it will not be immediate. Abandonment is not an issue in CA.
    Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc.
    Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc. | Mark Brown
    If you file for divorce, you can request that the court order her pay you temporary spousal maintenance ("alimony").
    Your husband has a legal obligation to support you and your daughter (if she not yet 19). But, that is somewhat meaningless unless and until you get a court to enter an order stating exactly what his obligation is and telling him what he has to do. You will need to file for divorce to accomplish anything. A court will have to evaluate all the relevant facts, but you should be entitled to spousal support and child support. The real questions will relate to how much and how to force your husband to pay. You need to consult a lawyer to see what your options are and how best to achieve your goals. Obviously, it appears you will need to put the effort to find an attorney who will handle your case pro bono (i.e. free) or at a greatly reduced rate.
    Thomas P. Carnes, Attorney & Mediator | Thomas P. Carnes
    If you have not already done so, file for divorce, and seek a prompt temporary orders hearing. Make sure that your petition that you file to commence the divorce includes a request for temporary orders, and that the temporary orders requested include child support, spousal support, medical support, and attorney's fees (if you have an attorney).
    The Gardner Law Firm, PLC | Brandon Gardner
    You probably won't get anything for abandonment but you can sue for divorce and ask for spousal support.
    File for divorce and get some Odets in place to prove for you and yours.

Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    You can certainly file for dissolution and request an order for spousal support but that will not be of any immediate help to you. You should consult a family law attorney or facilitator to assist you.
    Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
    Abandonment is not a basis for spousal support. If he has an income and you don't the court will consider whether to award you spousal support. If you have the ability to work but don't that will be considered also. Spousal support in California is based upon your need for it balanced off against his ability to pay it.
    Law Offices of Richard K. Jolliffe | Richard K. Jolliffe
    If you are married, you can file for divorce and ask for child and spousal support. It will have to be ordered by the court.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    Your husband should have to pay temporary spousal support to you. File for a divorce and ask for an emergency hearing to make him pay something to you so you don't become homeless.
    You can get child and spousal support as a matter of law. You don't have to prove abandonment.

Mike Yeksavich | Mike Yeksavich
    Retain an attorney. If you cannot afford one perhaps a legal aid might be available.