Can I get an expungement so that I am eligible for a handgun? 6 Answers as of August 25, 2015

I am purchasing a handgun tomorrow and I noticed that one of the crimes preventing someone from passing a background check is assault and battery and I have these but they are from when I was 16 and I am now 22 my record has not been sealed. Will this prevent me from owning a pistol.

Yes. You need to expunge your record before you can legally purchase a gun.
Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
Getting an expungement only makes your conviction non public. Therefore it is unlikely you would get a hand gun.
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
If your assault & battery case was prosecuted in regular court (not juvenile court) and you were convicted, then there is no way to expunge that conviction, and you will not be able to legally own a gun.
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
That would be a yes.
Yes. It is very difficult... to impossible... to get records expunged for crimes of violence. Assault and Battery fall within that classification. You don't say whether the assault and battery resulted in a felony conviction. If so, even more difficult. Even if you were able to get it expunged, it does not appear that enough times has elapsed , as you need to wait a minimum of 5 years from the date you completed ALL court ordered obligations and were released from court probation. In addition, you can not have been charged with any new crimes... ANYWHERE. Without knowing more about your situation, this is the best I can answer.