Can I get an annulment of my two month marriage because she cheated? 34 Answers as of June 14, 2013

My wife and I have been married barely over two months. After 6 weeks, she began to have an affair with another man that she met at her work place. She admitted to me that she has not loved me since November, but went ahead with the wedding which was May 26, 2012 anyway. Her answer to why, "i do not know." I am 24 years old and she is 20.

I want to know if I can get an annulment of this marriage as apposed to getting a divorce?

Not in Colorado. Colorado only provides for a procedure to declare the marriage invalid - "cheating" is not one of the reasons a marriage becomes invalid.
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
No. Cheating on you is not a legal basis for an annulment. However, in looking at your facts, an argument can be made that there was some fraud committed by your spouse, therefore it is possible to argue that there was a basis for an annulment.
The Law Offices of Dave Hawkins
The Law Offices of Dave Hawkins | Dave Hawkins
NO if you lived together and shared a bed, you will have to get a divorce and WA. state does not recognize adultery you can get a divorce for any reason, the court does not care who is sleeping with who because we are a no-fault state.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
Annulments are for fraud, file for both and maybe the judge will grant the annulment, but it won't make much of a practical difference in the future.
Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
Possibly, based on fraud
    No, and annulment would not be granted on such facts. Hence, best to proceed with a divorce. You may qualify for a summary dissolution if you have no children, a limited amount of assets and debts, and satisfy other criteria. You should look up (via Google) the requirements to qualify for summary dissolution in CA, or hire a local family law lawyer to help you.
    Graves Law Firm
    Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
    Annulment is worth a try. See a lawyer, but do it quickly.
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    No, cheating is not grounds for annulment. Annulments are available only for specific statutory grounds which include such things as incest, bigamy, and mental incapacity.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    No. Annulment is only if someone lied at the time of the marriage and if the truth had been told would not have been married. The other reasons are too young, already married or drunk.
    Mike Yeksavich | Mike Yeksavich
    Consult an attorney with all the facts. Do not delay in acting if you are seeking an annulment.
    Poole & Poole, P.A. | Wesley R. Poole
    No.
    An annulment requires more than a short duration of marriage. It requires that something fundamental was missing at the time the marriage occurred, such as fraud, or coercion. You should consult with a lawyer.
    Clement Law
    Clement Law | Daniel E. Clement
    Adultery is not a grounds for an annulment. You should consult with an attorney to explore whether you have grounds for an annulment.
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    In Maryland, an annulment is almost the same thing as a divorce, but harder to prove. In your case you could allege fraud. However, Maryland, unlike most states, does not put the parties back to where they were financially when they entered into the marriage. In Maryland, for some odd reason, they divide property in an annulment, the same as in a divorce.
    Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
    You will have to get a divorce.
    Law Office of Ronee Korbin Steiner PC | Ronee Korbin Steiner
    You need to allege fraud for an anullment. Just get the divorce and move on.
    Thomas P. Carnes, Attorney & Mediator | Thomas P. Carnes
    The short answer is no. There are very narrow circumstances in order to qualify for an annulment, and infidelity after the marriage is not one of them.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    You can get an annulment if one or both of you was somehow impaired at the time of the marriage through drugs, alcohol, that sort of thing, or if she defrauded you, or if one of you was already married. Her cheating on you six weeks after your marriage is not grounds for an annulment, nor is her confession that she married you without being in love with you.
    T.K. Byrne | Timothy K. Byrne
    File for divorce on grounds of adultery. An annulment does not cover cheating
    Law Offices of Laurie Peters
    Law Offices of Laurie Peters | Laurie Peters
    It's not that simple. You can request and annulment, but you would have to prove fraud. If you can prove that she was with this man prior to the marriage and had no intention to remain married when she said, "I do" then there is a possibility. It's not guaranteed and it is difficult to prove. Even if proven, it is not guaranteed. This is a very difficult area of the law. It would probably be easier and cheaper to simply Divorce. Before you do anything I would discuss how to proceed with a lawyer, as well as why you want the annulment instead of dissolution. There are legal significances to be considered that can only be addressed with someone who understands this area of the law along with your specific situation. Good luck. I am really sorry; this must be very difficult for you.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    You can only get an annulment if the marriage is invalid in the first place. If your marriage was legally valid, you would have to file for divorce.
    Your facts do not reveal the sort of fraud to induce you to marry your wife that would suffice to qualify for an Annulment. If you wish, you can check the boxes in your Petition for Annulment and for Dissolution of Marriage, so that if you are unable to persuade the Judge to annul your marriage, the Judge can still grant you a divorce.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    No.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney