Can I get an annulment if someone married me just to get proper immigration status? 6 Answers as of August 19, 2015

I was married less than a month when I found out the illegal immigrant I married used me to get work permit. I filed the divorce the moment I discovered this. I have not seen him, as he disappeared after immigration denied his applications. Is there any ground to turn the divorce into an annulment, before he ruins my credit any in any way?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
Yes, you should consult with a family law attorney ASAP.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/19/2015
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
No the uncontested Divorce is cheapest and quickest.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/18/2015
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
If he made promises to get you to marry him that were false and prove it independently of just your testimony, you should be able to get an annulment based upon fraudulent misrepresentation. It requires more work and may be slightly more expensive, but it can be done. You might have to have him served with any papers requesting the annulment; if he is no longer easily available, you may have to get some sort of court approved service. However, there should be no practical difference between the divorce or the annulment in protecting yourself financially, especially based upon the fact that you moved quickly once you discovered the problem. On the other hand, you may not have any divorce grounds other than cruelty based upon the shortness of the marriage and may have to proceed with the annulment.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/18/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You should see an attorney and determine whether or not an annulment, based on fraud, might be available to yourself. Most certainly you should be ending this marriage relationship one way or the other.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/18/2015
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
I believe you have grounds based upon fraud.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/18/2015
Click to View More Answers: