Can I get an adjustment of status by marrying a US citizen? 5 Answers as of June 13, 2011

I came to the US is 2009 on a student status. My girlfriend's brother is my sponsor and he is going through a lot of hardship, I had to pull out to school as I couldn't pay class fees. My girlfriend and I have been dating for 7 years and are wanting to get married so we can start our own lives. I am currently out of status, can I get married and can I get an adjustment of status when we are married?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
If you get married you can apply for permanent residence through US spouse's citizenship, even if you are out of status. Beware that the school may report your absence to the USCIS, if that happens before your adjustment filing, your case could be complicated. Please seek attorney's help.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/13/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is you most certainly can get an adjustment of status, even on your status as a fiance, and certainly as married. If you aren't engaged, then if you love each other, get engaged, eventually married. Since you entered the country on a legal visa and overstayed, an exception in the law would allow you to petition and adjust status. Call or e-mail me, to set up a consultation and I would be glad to be of service. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/13/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
It appears you are eligible for an adjustment. As long as you entered correctly, with inspection and did not commit fraud to get entry, you are fine if you married an American citizen, even if you stopped going to school. (There are other issues as well which should be examined, but you did not discuss...criminal history, deportation, use of false documents, etc...). Make sure to consult an attorney who can ask you all relevant questions to make 100% sure.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/13/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
If your girlfriend is a US citizen and you entered with inspection, you likely qualify to apply for an adjustment of status after your marriage. You should speak with an immigration attorney to review your case. There are many factors to consider including your criminal history, your fiance's income, etc.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/13/2011
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
Yes! most likely you can. You should hire a lawyer to work on this for you and make sure all requirements are met.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: