Can I get an adjusted status after marriage if I am an asylee? 2 Answers as of August 01, 2011

I came here in USA with a J1 visa ( not subject to the 2 years rules). I am married to a USA citizen for about 8 months, but I don t want to apply for Green Card through marriage because I came here with the mind of becoming an asylee. I come from Cameroon, and I left my country 3 years ago because of persecuted by my governement , so I went to Malaysia where I was student and there I was persecuted again. In short I would like to apply for asylum in the memory of my Dad's murder in Cameroon. My question is if I become as Asylee, can I adjust my status later on with my wife? I mean after 2 years of marriage. Which consequences it is going to have if i want to become citizen of USA. I mean if after 2 years of marriage my wife files for my adjustement of status.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Asylum procedure is very complicated and you will need professional help. Answering your question about how to apply for permanent residency also requires more information about your intentions which you will discuss with your attorney.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/1/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
Receiving asylum is a long, complicated and expensive process, if you are eligible. You may not be eligible for many reasons, the most likely of which is that you have been in the U.S. for more than one year. You really would be doing you and your spouse an incredible disservice by pursuing that option. Get your green card, then get citizenship and find a better way to honor your father.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 7/28/2011
Click to View More Answers: