Can I get the amount of arrears I owe for child support lowered? 10 Answers as of April 11, 2013

When I went to court my ex-girlfriend told the judge that I didn't support my daughter for her first year of life and the judge took her word. The judge said I have to pay her $4,865 but I did support her I even had the receipts of everything I got for her. The judge would not let me show her or anything. I think it's not right that I have to pay that when I did support her so what can I do.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
It sounds as if you went to court without a lawyer. That is your right to do, but it is not wise as you have seen. There are rules and procedures to get evidence (those receipts) before a judge. So, now your only choice is to ask for a motion to set aside Judgement and Motion for new trial or file an appeal and no matter which one of these you choose, it MUST BE FILED not later than 30 days after the Judge signed the order saying you owe $4,865. After 30 days the order is final and done. You are stuck and you will never get to change it.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/9/2012
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
You pay the money. Support is not just buying gifts or incidentals you bought for your child.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/6/2012
Vargas Law Office LLC | Ronnie Ismael Vargas
You can appeal a Judge's decision within certain time limits. If you can't appeal then the only way to lower your child support arrears would be that your ex-girlfriend agrees to a lower amount and you submit the agreement to the Court.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 12/6/2012
Woolley Wilson, LLP
Woolley Wilson, LLP | William R. Wilson
You can get it lowered by agreement. Next time be sure you hire an attorney to go to court with you.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/6/2012
John Russo | John Russo
If you had proof that you had supported the child prior to the mother filing for support and the mother was looking for retroactive support you should have been given an evidentiary hearing, sounds like you were not represented by counsel, and also was it a Judge or a Magistrate you went before? There is a difference if you needed to appeal the decision. Talk to a lawyer, if you can't afford one most jurisdictions must provide an attorney when it comes to child support issues, here I would tell you to ASAP file a motion to reconsider, and then ask for a hearing and that the court appoint counsel, but if you signed anything to agree to this then you will have a problem, if it is just the order of the court then YOU MAY have a shot, depending on their rules of procedure.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 12/6/2012
Click to View More Answers: