Can I get alimony for marriage under a year? 4 Answers as of June 29, 2011

My husband and I have only been married 9 months. Am I still entitled to alimony or no? We were married in WA but now live in CA.

Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC
Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC | Daniel B. Rubanowitz
If you get divorced in the State of California, the lower income earning spouse is generally entitled to spousal support (or alimony) for up to one-half the length of marriage in a marriage of short duration (i.e., a marriage less than ten years). Without knowing more facts, such as whether you are self-sufficient, whether either party is employed/employable, whether there are children, whether there is a pre-marital agreement or any other relevant fact(s) to be considered by the Court, it is hard to tell exactly what would happen with regard to your support entitlement or obligation. You should consult with an attorney. Good luck.
In California, you would likely be entitled to Spousal Support for 1/2 the duration of your short-term marriage, but you would need to seek temporary Spousal Support by way of an Order to Show Cause unless your husband stipulates to paying your Guideline Temporary Spousal Support.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
The chances of you receiving "alimony" or what is referred to in California as "spousal support" is extremely low. Spousal support is normally not awarded in marriages less than five years. However, you should sit down with an experienced family law lawyer and go over the facts of your specific case.
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
It is unlikely that a court would award alimony on a 9 month marriage. Generally a court will award alimony in a short term marriage for the length of the marriage. The court may consider other factors in determining alimony. For example, if you left your job and moved to California in order to further your spouses career you may be awarded alimony for a reasonable length of time while you seek employment.