Can I gain full custody if my ex has a convicted felon around? 11 Answers as of November 05, 2013

My ex is dating a guy convicted of assault of a family member 2 times, drug charges multiple times and other convictions. I just did a background search. His convictions date back to 1994-2012, ten charges total. Can I win custody?

Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Custody is not the issue. The issue is the amount of residential time. Depending on a list of criteria the court must consider, one of you will get the majority of time unless you both agree to a 50/50 plan. If this con is living with her, that is one consideration. If she's just dating him, you can ask the court to order her not to have him around the children.
Those facts may help you win custody, but more than that is needed to persuade a Court to award custody to you. You would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise and represent you.
Provda Law Firm
Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
That might be one element in your favor. The result of a hearing can never be predicted.
Pingelton Law Firm | Dan Pingelton
Of course you can. Hire an attorney.
Oscar E. Toscano | Oscar E. Toscano
Is your ex living with you? If so, you have a good shot. The court has to look out for the best interest of the child.
    You won't know unless you try.
    Maybe. You will have to prove he is a danger to the children. Of course, you will have to be relatively clean in relation to him. Talk with a local attorney about the details.
    Sounds like this guy is bad news. You really need to talk to a good divorce lawyer and get some assistance. You will want to show the Judge that it is not good for the children to be around this guy. Before you do anything, talk to a divorce lawyer. And do that soon. If you are in New Jersey, call me and I will assist. No charge for the first office visit.
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
    The issue in custody is what is the in the best interest of the children. The paramour's background sounds dangerous, but the question is what is his involvement with the children.
    Depending on the nature of the charges, you may succeed.
    Charles Regan Shaw, PLC
    Charles Regan Shaw, PLC | Charles R Shaw
    Simply put, you will want to hire an attorney to review this. Your current parenting/custody status, your custodial environment, in comparison to your ex. Is this felon spending the night, or visiting?..these are factors that the court will want to look at.