Can I force the tenants to move out and keep it in the same condition as they moved in? 1 Answers as of August 12, 2011

I rent a house in NC with my ex-wife. Our renters installed a new central a/c unit, as they originally planned on purchasing the home ultimately. Well, they have given us there 30 day notice, but they are planning on taking the a/c unit without putting the old one back in. Can I legally force them to either A) re-install the old unit that was there or B) leave the unit there? Basically, can I legally force them to leave the house in the same condition it was in when they initially moved in (i.e. with a unit in place). FYI, the old unit worked, just not that well on really hot days. It was still functional.

Look at your lease. Most, if not all, standard leases require the tenant to leave any improvements behind. But you really need to consult a NC attorney.