Can I force a City Government to abide by it's own City Ordinances concerning unenforced parking violations? 2 Answers as of July 29, 2010

I want to stop illegal parking on a main city highway in front of a local park. I have contacted everyone possible concerning these unenforced parking code violations, and just keep getting ignored or sidestepped by everyone from law enforcement, to Department Of Transportation, to traffic engineering. What legal remedy do I have to force my local city government to abide by it's own city code parking ordinances?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Hale Law Group
Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
There is not a lot you can do. You can picket and use your freedom of speech in a legal manner to make the complaint public. However the police and DOT have what is called governmental immunity when it comes to the law.

You may be walking on a slippery slope trying to force the government to enforce laws, they would simply state they did not have the manpower due to budget cuts.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/29/2010
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Unfortunately you can't force them to change yourself. You have no power to do so, other than political pressure from residents/voters.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/29/2010
Click to View More Answers: