Can I fix my residensy with a resisting arrest charge? 2 Answers as of May 09, 2011

Five years ago, I was arrested for resisting arrest, and disturbing the peace. I got the resisting arrest because I was explained the officer with my hands. He told me to put my hands down, I did then i did it again. That's how I talk sometimes. So I went to jail for 2 days. They told me they were going to drop resisting arrest. So I'm in the middle of getting an extension on my permanent resident card. They told me I needd to get the certified papers when I was arrested. They never drop the charge of resisting arrest. How will that affect my extension or qualifying for my citizenship? And what steps can I take to make this situation a lot easier. If I get married will that help?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
If this is the only charge / conviction you have, it should not be a problem. I had one client with a similar set of facts (California conviction for disturbing the peace) and the Immigration official adjudicating the case did not even blink. You will need your certified court disposition.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/9/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
I think you need to get a copy of the disposition and speak with an attorney who specializes in criminal immigration in your area. The issue is whether this arrest would result in a finding of bad moral character. Citizenship requires 5 years of good moral character.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 5/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: