Can I fix my husband's papers after 10 years of 20 years deportation? 1 Answers as of March 31, 2015

My husband got deported for 20 years in 2008 for false citizenship. In 3 years it will be ten years that he has been deported. He lived in the United States all his life and his mother didn't bother to fix his papers. We got married in Feb 2011. We have three girls together. I live with my grandparents and I can't afford to live on my own without him they will need their own rooms and we can't afford our own apartment. While he was living in the U.S he went to school and he had a few misdemeanors. And I just need to know if I can fix his paper after 10 years he's been deported and has 10 more years to go? They gave him the 20 year bar so he would only need 10 more years to go.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Normally, a false claim to citizenship gets you a permanent bar to admission, meaning you will never be able to get a green card. There are a few issues with that in that those deported for that reason before 1996 or so can get a waiver and those deported after 1996 or so cannot get one. Recently, Congress relaxed the permanent bar rule for those under the age of 18. It was done without much fanfare. We are hoping that a waiver will be re-instituted for all false claimers. So, things are still evolving on that end. However for you, you will have to consult with an attorney to see exactly why your husband was given a 20-year bar instead of a permanent one. One of the categories that a 20-year bar applies to is the Aggravated felons category. You need an attorney to look into it before you can make any move.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/31/2015
Click to View More Answers: